1. Prove your idea - you may think that you have the best business plan ever, or that your business concept will work, but if you do not succeed in proving that your idea is sound, then you might have to look for better ideas. Pet projects might turn out to be drains in the end.
2. Look for a mentor - and not just any mentor. You need to find someone who knows what he is talking about, and can help you see things that you might miss when you start your business. Ideally, it should be someone who is also in the information technology business.
3. Focus on your customers - better if you become obsessed over them, really. After all, they are the people who are going to open their wallets to you. If you can identify who your customers are, as well as figure out how to best sell to them, then you will get good IT sales leads.
4. Put back into business - every dollar that you earn in your business should be invested back. This is especially true if you are still starting, or if you are using telemarketing services to support your IT lead generation campaign. You do not have the luxury yet to spend on anything right now.
5. Use affordable, yet effective, tools - when you need new business prospects, you will need to find them in the most cost-effective ways. Right now, doing business can be a bit costly, so it's better to look for affordable means. Maybe a CRM software system can help you make the job easier.
6. Market before you have it - even if you are still in the developmental stage, it is already a good time to begin promoting. You cannot afford to concentrate in perfecting your product, and then have nothing left to use in order to market it. If you want to get returns for what you developed, better start promoting now so that people will start buying when you have it already.
7. You are not alone - one thing that you should remember is that you should not be alone in business. One good way to maximize your returns is by getting a partner in business. Not only will this help you reduce costs, but you also get a hand in helping with your business.
Well, think about it. It is worth it.